[Lincs] multitude of sins

Pete Hunt pete at ninjafriendly.com
Mon Sep 19 22:22:20 BST 2005

Richard Williams wrote:

> Anyone got any thoughts/comments on the Gentoo distro - complete newbie
> but believe in learning by finding out what goes on "under the bonnet" -
> of course I may live to regret that last statement. :)
>
> Richard

<religious war>

Personally, (having played with Gentoo for a few months) it seems a lot
of faffing about compiling stuff for little return on the time spent
(from an increase in / optimised performance argument). If you really
want that use Linux From Scratch.

</religious war>

If you fancy the idea of using Gentoo, use it.  You may be jumping in at
the moderately deep end but you'll learn useful stuff and it is a distro
that's designed to be poked and prodded about.  Just ensure that you
still have a means of Googling when you break something.

Pete