[Lincs] Wiki

Alan Pope alan.pope at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 20:23:34 BST 2005

On 26/09/05, iain Baker <iain.dbaker at gmail.com> wrote:
> My vote is that the current wikki certainly be retired... as a
> replacement my vote would be along the lines of the set-up at
> www.lancastriaplayers.co.uk ... basically you can input if you get an
> account! the webmaster gives each member the relevent priveledges
> (standard priveledges are for the forum... additional priveledges are
> given to comittee members for file uploads and news etc)... just a
> thought

The problem with sites which require authentication to be able to
modify is that well, they require authentication to modify. If (as is
the case with wikis) you don't *require* it then people are able to
casually edit pages to add or modify existing content without having
yet another password to remember. There is also the issue of people
being unable to register when the webmaster is awol/on
holiday/otherwise busy. With a wiki anyone can edit at any time.

We've found at the Hampshire LUG that having an open wiki allows
anyone from anywhere to edit unhindered (subject to certain anti-spam
controls). We have had people from Sweden recently for example correct
something on our wiki. We have new member of the LUG join and have the
same level of access as someone who has been in the LUG for years. By
adding a level of web admin to the site you foster a tiered structure
to what is in effect a flat community.

Having seen the wiki work for LUGs like Hants, Surrey and Wolves, and
non-LUG sites such as Blitzed (the irc network that is connected with
lug.org.uk), and wikipedia, I can't see the compelling advantage a
web-administrator-based authorisation-required site gives.

Cheers,
Al.