[Lincs] Wiki

Alan Pope alan.pope at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 20:32:38 BST 2005

On 26/09/05, Pete Hunt <pete at ninjafriendly.com> wrote:
> iain Baker wrote:
>
> > www.lancastriaplayers.co.uk ... basically you can input if you get an
> > account! the webmaster gives each member the relevent priveledges
> > (standard priveledges are for the forum... additional priveledges are
> > given to comittee members for file uploads and news etc)... just a
> > thought
> >

> Seconded, it's useful to have a wiki, but we need some access controls.
>   Someone mentioned captchas (sp?) as well a while ago, which would
> discourage spam in the forums.

There are two problems with captchas. One, they are pretty easily
defeated by spammers. There are tools available to enable a spammer to
point a script at your site, register and spam the whole thing.
Captchas are just a small bump in their way, they don't significantly
reduce spam. Secondly they add an extra impediment to registering and
joining in the community. This is most acute for partially sighted
people. As a LUG is usually founded on inclusiveness, making it more
difficult for someone to edit the website purely based on their
ability to see a mangled set of numbers in a box (which to be honest I
find hard enough to understand with 20/20 vision) doesn't do well for
the inclusiveness.

Cheers,
Al.