[Lincs] Ricey's 2p

David Rice dave at ricey.co.uk
Sun Mar 25 21:45:56 BST 2007

Hi all,

Good to hear from you, I thought you'd all moved away or something!  ;)

ok, so what have I been upto?

work mainly! but have setup a new server, the one which hosts the test
site as well as a few others. and riceyhosting.co.uk - if anyone needs
cheap Linux based open source hosting ;)
I've discovered World of Warcraft too!!  eeep I hear you scream, but
it's a good romp to waste some time.  I've got it running great on
Linux, better than windoze! Created a Guild site too.
lionsofazeroth.info also on the new server. There is a screenshot of WoW
on Linux there (running beryl at the same time too):

http://lionsofazeroth.info/index.php?option=com_easygallery&act=photos&cid=25&Itemid=31

as for LLUG business, it's been quiet, but the projects I am involved in:

Website:

Going well

still to be resolved:

-Single Login?  The problem here lies with WordPress, there seems to be
no easy way of integrating phpBB2 into it.  I have successfully done it
with Joomla (my WoW guild site) but there seems to be less available for
WordPress.  Do we switch?

- Google Maps?  How do we want to do this?

     - same as the mail LLUG site where anyone can input a position (way
insecure)
     - A separate database to run the data?
     - use the WordPress database? ie use an unused field in your
profile as the position data. Ive looked into this and the prob lies
with the way the WP database is constructed - not conducive to this sort
of usage

LLUG Distro:

- Haven't looked at it recently - I still feel that Kubuntu would make a
good base for a number of reasons.
      1. Easy to use for beginners - but adaptable enough for the geeks
among us
      2. Good repositories of software - and easy straightforward
software installs and updates
      3. Latest software available
      4. Easy to remaster, and you get a LiveCD and an installer.

But of course that depends on the reasons why we are doing it?  If we
want a screaming fast system then gentoo/slax is a good start. If we
want a good all rounder that entices people to switch across to Linux
then the kubuntu types are better. I'll await your thoughts.

phew, longest mail i've written in years!  I'll let you delete it now...

See you all at the installfest :D

Ricey