[Lincs] Ricey's 2p

iain Baker iain.dbaker at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 22:07:54 BST 2007

On 3/25/07, David Rice <dave at ricey.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Good to hear from you, I thought you'd all moved away or something!  ;)
>
> ok, so what have I been upto?

<snip>

> Website:
>
> Going well
>
> still to be resolved:
>
> -Single Login?  The problem here lies with WordPress, there seems to be
> no easy way of integrating phpBB2 into it.  I have successfully done it
> with Joomla (my WoW guild site) but there seems to be less available for
> WordPress.  Do we switch?

i dont know anything about the to suggestions Dave Briggs made, but
they sound clever :)  i like word press but i have never used Joomla,
so i dont know whether the switch would loose us anything...

> - Google Maps?  How do we want to do this?
>
>      - same as the mail LLUG site where anyone can input a position (way
> insecure)
>      - A separate database to run the data?
>      - use the WordPress database? ie use an unused field in your
> profile as the position data. Ive looked into this and the prob lies
> with the way the WP database is constructed - not conducive to this sort
> of usage

Would a switch to Joomla give us a more conducive database? i like the
idea of it being auto generated from the registration... one
registration to rule them all!

> LLUG Distro:
>
> - Haven't looked at it recently - I still feel that Kubuntu would make a
> good base for a number of reasons.
>       1. Easy to use for beginners - but adaptable enough for the geeks
> among us
>       2. Good repositories of software - and easy straightforward
> software installs and updates
>       3. Latest software available
>       4. Easy to remaster, and you get a LiveCD and an installer.

Makes Sense, i think Chris Adams was going to offer a Gentoo
alternative... did we ever come up with a definitive list of packages,
and what are the thoughts on proprietary graphics drivers (sorry but i
have fallen in love with my spinning desktop now)

> But of course that depends on the reasons why we are doing it?  If we
> want a screaming fast system then gentoo/slax is a good start. If we
> want a good all rounder that entices people to switch across to Linux
> then the kubuntu types are better. I'll await your thoughts.
>
> phew, longest mail i've written in years!  I'll let you delete it now...

i wouldnt be so callous especially since i use googles server space to
store it :) your email makes a delightful addition to my collection

> See you all at the installfest :D

hopefuly when we can get something sorted :) or theres always the BBQ ;)

> Ricey

iain