[Lincs] Distro

James Taylor jt at imen.org.uk
Fri Mar 30 09:51:50 BST 2007

MD wrote:
> On 3/29/07, Chris Adams <heelfliper at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I cat be botherd to read all your emails.
How nice of you to side step any argument against your choice of system.
>> The reason I am using gentoo is
>> because it is flexible and will take up less room compared to ubuntu or
>> knoppix.
> By that logic, why no just use Damn Small Linux?
I'm not convinced that you're making valid comparisons - Ubuntu and
Knoppix are both Debian based, and Gentoo should really be compared
against Debian, the difference being that Debian doesn't give you tons
of default packages.

In gentoo's favour, the pro of smaller program size (because nothing
extra is compiled in) isn't just in the disk space but in quicker
yet seen enough evidence to show that the speedup of Gentoo, or the disk
space gained is in the favour of it, Nor have i seen any argument which
is in gentoos favour based upon its flexibility. I will say from my
experiences, its slightly easier for you to do custom compiles in gentoo
because everything is custom compiled, then debian's apt-get source and
dpkg package stuff, but there have been a lot newer and easier to use
tools developed for debian's package manger since I was last doing these
custom compiles.

I would have to say that from a Sysadmin point of view, the *EASE* of
managing and maintaining a system must outweigh any performance or disk
size - you can improve performance by throwing money at it (Sata raid
arrays and high speed buses remove the size of program from the
equation), but when something goes wrong on a friday night, you're down
time can not be solved by anything other then the system administrators
ability to get it back up again fast, and having a system which lets
them install and remove packages quickly and without having to compile
or anything, is (in my opinion) very important.

JT