[Lincs] Distro

MD barodato at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 15:05:22 BST 2007

On 3/30/07, Phillip Taylor <Phillip.Taylor at bcs.org.uk> wrote:
> If you make a distro based on Gentoo with precompiled binaries etc
> then aren't you taking away that flexability? And since you don't know
> how users will use this distribution do you limit them to a tiny set
> of packages (to save space) or do you concede that "less room" isn't
> really that important if you do want to give people flexability?
>
> The power of Gentoo is compiling your own machine specific code. If
> you make a distribution CD for someone else they lose that benefit.
>
> I can't help but think that perhaps your justification for the choice
> isn't that well thought out. Have I missed something?

I can't help thinking that people are just favouring their favourite
distros for this project. Surely what we want to aim for is the best
distro for someone switching away from Windows? In my experience,
Gentoo isn't exactly the most user-friendly of linuces to install,
although I must admit that I gave up after 3 days of straight
compilation. :) (Don't bother telling me, I know you can install with
binaries.)

When you think about, you've just got to ask yourself to whom will
this distro be aimed? The answer IMHO is the linux newbie.

Apologies if this has been discussed before. :)

--
Thanks,
-MattD <barodato at gmail dot com>