[Lincs] Distro

Alistair Crust alistair at skegnessgrammar.org
Fri Mar 30 15:36:26 BST 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 15:19 +0100, Phillip Taylor wrote:
> Agreed.
>
> I'm not sure that a new distro is even beneficial for a newbie anyway
> since they kind of lose support from other sources (the default
> configuration would be different). If a newbie came to me I'd probably
> recommend Ubuntu since it's extremely active at the moment with lots
> of documentation being written and a wealth of other newbies in the
> same position.

I would tend to strongly agree. Unless you have a specific need that can
"not" be catered for by another distro, then it feels like you would be
putting a lot of good effort into re-inventing the wheel. Taking a
distro that has already got a reputation for being good with the target
audience and improving it seams a far better idea that creating a whole
new one.

As an example some of the guys from the UKLug are just starting "Obuntu"
based on ubuntu but specifically concentrating on easy task based server
installs and the like. Its not fighting against Ubuntu or any other
distro, Its just taking a good distro and concentrating all their
excellent efforts and ideas and making it better.

> Can we confirm who the target audience for this distribution is?
> Newbies or is it for those who have experience and support the Lincoln
> LUG?
>
> I feel that Lincoln LUG wallpaper and themes are great and kind of
> give you that sense of community without making you dependent on the
> LLUG as your own means of support although I have absolutely no
> objections about your effort or ideals towards the project and I would
> happily try and support any people that contact the LLUG for help.

As would I, and a LincsLUG theme would touch a far greater audience and
would integrate into many many distros. So people could take their pick
of distro.

> Phill
>
> ps. Sorry for the offensive remark the other day.
>
> On 30/03/07, MD <barodato at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 3/30/07, Phillip Taylor <Phillip.Taylor at bcs.org.uk> wrote:
> > > If you make a distro based on Gentoo with precompiled binaries etc
> > > then aren't you taking away that flexability? And since you don't know
> > > how users will use this distribution do you limit them to a tiny set
> > > of packages (to save space) or do you concede that "less room" isn't
> > > really that important if you do want to give people flexability?
> > >
> > > The power of Gentoo is compiling your own machine specific code. If
> > > you make a distribution CD for someone else they lose that benefit.
> > >
> > > I can't help but think that perhaps your justification for the choice
> > > isn't that well thought out. Have I missed something?
> >
> > I can't help thinking that people are just favouring their favourite
> > distros for this project. Surely what we want to aim for is the best
> > distro for someone switching away from Windows? In my experience,
> > Gentoo isn't exactly the most user-friendly of linuces to install,
> > although I must admit that I gave up after 3 days of straight
> > compilation. :) (Don't bother telling me, I know you can install with
> > binaries.)
> >
> > When you think about, you've just got to ask yourself to whom will
> > this distro be aimed? The answer IMHO is the linux newbie.
> >
> > Apologies if this has been discussed before. :)
> >
> > --
> > Thanks,
> > -MattD <barodato at gmail dot com>

Kind regards