[Lincs] Distro

Chris Adams heelfliper at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 10:09:24 BST 2007

Obviously you people still dont understand. If we use gentoo the system base
will take up less room, leving more room for your programs you want. I am
not compiling it for custom cpu code: I am not that stupid. And no it wont
take 3 days to compile. It will be user friendly. The users dont have to
even touch the console. And anyway you cant do much on a livecd anyway that
isnt user friendly. You cant install extra packages or anything. I think you
are just voting for your favorite distro.

On 30/03/07, Alistair Crust <alistair at skegnessgrammar.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 15:19 +0100, Phillip Taylor wrote:
> > Agreed.
> >
> > I'm not sure that a new distro is even beneficial for a newbie anyway
> > since they kind of lose support from other sources (the default
> > configuration would be different). If a newbie came to me I'd probably
> > recommend Ubuntu since it's extremely active at the moment with lots
> > of documentation being written and a wealth of other newbies in the
> > same position.
>
> I would tend to strongly agree. Unless you have a specific need that can
> "not" be catered for by another distro, then it feels like you would be
> putting a lot of good effort into re-inventing the wheel. Taking a
> distro that has already got a reputation for being good with the target
> audience and improving it seams a far better idea that creating a whole
> new one.
>
> As an example some of the guys from the UKLug are just starting "Obuntu"
> based on ubuntu but specifically concentrating on easy task based server
> installs and the like. Its not fighting against Ubuntu or any other
> distro, Its just taking a good distro and concentrating all their
> excellent efforts and ideas and making it better.
>
> > Can we confirm who the target audience for this distribution is?
> > Newbies or is it for those who have experience and support the Lincoln
> > LUG?
> >
> > I feel that Lincoln LUG wallpaper and themes are great and kind of
> > give you that sense of community without making you dependent on the
> > LLUG as your own means of support although I have absolutely no
> > objections about your effort or ideals towards the project and I would
> > happily try and support any people that contact the LLUG for help.
> >

> As would I, and a LincsLUG theme would touch a far greater audience and
> would integrate into many many distros. So people could take their pick
> of distro.
>
> > Phill
> >
> > ps. Sorry for the offensive remark the other day.

> know

> choice
> > >
> > > I can't help thinking that people are just favouring their favourite
> > > distros for this project. Surely what we want to aim for is the best
> > > distro for someone switching away from Windows? In my experience,
> > > Gentoo isn't exactly the most user-friendly of linuces to install,
> > > although I must admit that I gave up after 3 days of straight
> > > compilation. :) (Don't bother telling me, I know you can install with
> > > binaries.)
> > >
> > > When you think about, you've just got to ask yourself to whom will
> > > this distro be aimed? The answer IMHO is the linux newbie.
> > >
> > > Apologies if this has been discussed before. :)
> > >
> > > --
> > > Thanks,
> > > -MattD <barodato at gmail dot com>

> --
> Kind regards
> Alistair Crust
> Systems Administrator
> [...]

"I cant afford a good nickname, so i got this one."