[Lincs] Lincs LUG: relaunch?

Rebecca Newborough bobobex at bobobex.org
Wed Aug 17 23:55:29 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 11:04 PM, Dave Rice <dave at ricey.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi Becky, All,
> Ah, there's life in the old LLUG! :)
> I've been around for many a year and although the lug has been quiet there
> have been a few stalwarts hanging around. Me, Iain and a few more.
> Iain is around somewhere, haven't seen him in a while apart from his
> twitter.
> I've been looking after the website - the lug.org.uk domain has issues which
> we couldn't get fixed. I know Iain tried hard, but in the end we decided on
> using a different method.  The site itself is a google site (for stability)
> and the forum is hosted on my hosting server.
> Becky, if you would like write access to the site then please mail me your
> gmail address, privately, and I'll add you to the access list. Same if you
> would like to be a forum mod also.
> I think one of the reasons that the lug has never really got off the ground
> is because we are all located disparately around the county. From Skegness
> to Grantham and everywhere in between. Not a bad thing by any stretch, just
> lots of travelling for some people for meets.  There was one a year or so
> ago and was quite successful if I recall. Wasn't there myself as I was
> deployed out of area (As I am now! In the States for 3 months)
> But all that aside, I would love to see a flourishing LLUG and my continued
> support is without question.
> I'm happy to keep the website running and updating the look 'n' feel if it's
> deemed we need a change - I love change! But yes, it needs more frequent
> updates to the content, but there lies the catch 22 situation. If we're not
> doing anything there's nothing to post ;)
> So, let's get our heads together and come up with a plan of stuff to do!
> The IRC channel should still be there so maybe that's a place to start off
> the conversation?
> Cheers
> Ricey

Hi Dave

Thank you for your reply and acknowledgement that things have been
quiet recently on the existing LLUG.  I think you misunderstand me -
I'm am not proposing that the new Lincs LUG inherits any existing LLUG
web properties; I am looking for a complete reset.  I have registered
lincslug.org.uk and lincslug.org on behalf of the new Lincs LUG, and I
am in contact with the current admins of lug.org.uk in relation to a
smooth handover of the existing LUG.  I am also in the process of
arranging sponsorship for a VPS for the new Lincs LUG.  If there is
enough interest, I propose to hold a first meeting and will set in
motion elections for a treasurer and other key roles on the new Lincs
LUG committee so that the new Lincs LUG is run transparently and
democratically by the members and for the members.

You say that members location has hampered the previous LLUG from
flourishing or meeting - I disagree.  I am not too sure why the
current LLUG administration have not been doing more to promote their
LUG but I am more than capable, qualified and extremely enthusiastic
to make a change for the better and to promote the new Lincs LUG
positively.  I do not pretend to talk for potential LUG members from
any of the towns you mention, but I think there is scope make this new
Lincs LUG as inclusive as possible, and not just restricted to Lincoln
only members.

I am trying to do this as amicably and openly as possible, as I
believe that a complete change and reset is needed for the good of the
LUG.  Whilst I value any input/feedback that you and Iain Baker have
to guide me and would welcome your continued membership within the new
Lincs LUG, I am a fresh and have new ideas as to how we can take the
new Lincs LUG forward for the good of everyone who wants to be
involved.

Regards

Becky