[Lincs] New member introduction

Mobeen Iqbal mobeeniqbal at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 22:09:30 UTC 2014

Hi Becky and everyone,

many thanks for the words of welcome! yep, i've definitely heard of
Jonathan. i used to be project manager for the Vinux project, linux for
the visually impaired, produced by Tony Sales from the royal national
college for the blind and we got talking on the mailing list. Jonathan
is trying to produce updated versions of ubuntu, but his releases are
quite buggy as he uses the latest and greatest software which hasn't
been tested, something that the vinux project disagreed with. nice guy
though. i will take a look at the other lugs and see about joining them.
i had considered producing a version of linux for the visually impaired
based on arch linux, as noone's really done that yet. the problem i'm
finding though is hardware support. ubuntu/debien releases seem to do an
awful lot when it comes to hardware detection/support in the background.
i'd also be interested in any meetings that take place across
lincolnshire between lug members. other lugs have local events like
bring a laptop/gadget days where they all meet up to discuss their
latest linux based projects, perhaps we could also organise a similar
event if its not already been done? this particular lug seems to have
been quite quiet over the last few years.

Russell, your comments are quite interesting. i stopped using ubuntu
ever since the 12.04 release because i just couldn't get on with unity.
i'd much rather use gnome/gnome fallback, that was partly what caused me
to switch to arch, the ability to build from the ground up. more work's
involved, but in the end its definitely worth it. linux mint could also
be a good option though, though i must confess i haven't tried it in a
few years so don't know what the state of accessibility is. what desktop
does it use?

thanks for reading,

Mo.