[Liverpool] Problems with hard disk

djbanksie at dsl.pipex.com djbanksie at dsl.pipex.com
Mon Dec 6 12:40:28 GMT 2004

Okay, my elder brother's hard disk which he gave to me (Maxtor 7200rpm
40GB jobby) decided that it would fail S.M.A.R.T tests. I backed up
everything on the server and managed to do a copy of /dev/hda1, hda6, hda7
and hda8 onto my newly formatted 40GB 5400rpm ex-Windows hard disk. No
problems there. Everything copied smoothly.

Boot into Knoppix and tried to get grub setup. I chroot into /dev/hda1
root directory and cannot figure out what the command to configure grub
is. I've tried a number of things, grub-install /, grub-install ./,
grub-install /dev/hda1 and so on, just cannot figure it out. Spent nearly
three hours trying to get it working. It's probably in the manpages
somewhere, but I really don't want to be plowing through tons of jargon
which could be the key to my solution.

Anyway, failing that, I'll try Ubuntu. Got Warty Release burnt last night.
One question about that, does it pre-configure all the devices on my
machine before installation?