caffeine [was Re: [Liverpool] Redhat and Fedora]

Richard Smedley richard.smedley03 at ntlworld.com
Thu Dec 9 18:44:08 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 22:00 +0000, Mark Atherton wrote:
> I just realised i have sent two serious posts within 5 minutes of
> eachother. This is unusual for me so for the sake of my karma i thought
> i would start a quick interesting poll
>
> It one of those nights where "ill just tweak my kernel a little"
> inevitably turns into "lets see how much i can strip away without it all
> collapsing". Its late but youve decided to stay put for "just one more
> recompile". what is your favourite source of caffine for this sort of
> situation.
>
> Now i personally dislike both tea and coffee so i would have to answer
> either some gut rentchingly bad rip off of coke (nobody actually buys
> the real stuff anymore, its all asdas own brand etc) or direct IV drip
> from the large barrel of pure liquid caffine i keep near the desk.

Hm, I often have to work through the night (this week I've averaged
less than 4 hours sleep per night), but I've avoided most caffeine
for many years now (yup, a geek who doesn't take caffeine - I may be
burned as a heretic ;^)

I love tea and coffee, but buy decaffeinated espresso beans from
my local grocer (who roasts them fresh at least twice a week), and
decaffeinated tea. It's certainly possible to take caffeine out of
drinks without removing the flavour - though ten years ago few
manufacturers seemed able to do this :-/

I do have the occasional turkish coffee or lapsang souchong when
I'm out, and the caffeine rush is really quite alarming ;^)

Cola? I last had that in the 1970s - horrible sweet stuff. Real
drinks should be bitter - in fact make n=mine a pint of bitter ;-P

 - Richard
/me off for a pint of bitter

--

``Beer? Beer is not the answer, beer is the question,
  Yes, is the answer''     - Homer Simpson