[Liverpool] Help With a New White-Box Computer

Scott Brimin scott.brimin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 22:26:31 GMT 2004

Hi.

I've been given the task of building a computer for my older sister.
Since she has limited technical knowledge, it'll be up to me to build
her a computer to meet her needs. The computer must:

- be small/compact so that it can fit on a fairly small table
- the computer must be adequate for her immediate and medium to long-term needs.
- the computer much be able to play DVDs and MPEG-4.
- the computer must not have sufficient resources for her needs.
- the system must be upgradeable.

My solution:

- Use a mobo and case of the Micro ATX form factor, not the cubes, the
slim ones.
- S-ATA HDD,  maybe ATA-133 HDD as storage
- AMD AthlonXP 3200 (333FSB or 400FSB)
- DVD-ReWriter
- PC3200 DDR-RAM
- A cheap but okay graphic card
- A cheap generic 5.1 digital soundcard
- Something pretty for the case, probably a CD holder for the 5.25" bay

So, I've come across a few problems/issues (or features) with the system.

- Finding good Micro-ATX mobos and mATX cases is difficult and they expensive.
- AMD AthlonXP 3200s seem to have all been hunted down consumed by
processor eating demons.
- For the love-of-all-things-cuddly, I can't seem to find a
vertical-mount DVD-RW.

Advice would be welcomes, useful advice would be good too, monetary
donations would be better.

T'anks.