[Liverpool] Why do you use Open Source software?

Dale Stephens dale411s at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Nov 2 22:25:24 GMT 2004

David Watson wrote:

>Hello everyone,
>
>As a blatant attempt to get people on this list talking, I have some
>questions.
>

>Why are you using Open Source software?

I consider it more secure than the main competitor and better value.  I
have used Windows Me and 2000 Pro in the past, and am re-installing the
latter for study purposes.  Currently I use Thunderbird,
Firefox/Firebird, Mozilla and OpenOffice.org.

>Which OS do you use, and why?

Linux.  Looks like I'm the odd one out though - Suse v9.1 and Slackware
v10.0.  Last time I tried Debian, X11 didn't work properly,
unfortunately, so I dropped it.  Perhaps, since I know a bit more now, I
may retry it.  Mandrake 10 didn't feel reliable at all, so that's
staying on the shelf.

>Do you contribute to Open Source projects, either with code,
>documentation, or bug reports?

Not at the moment.  I feel I should do, though.  Perhaps some
documentation work?