[Liverpool] Introduction

David Watson david at planetwatson.co.uk
Mon Nov 1 23:28:31 GMT 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 23:07 +0000, mark atherton wrote:
> Ok im not very good at introducing myself but ill give it a shot. My names
> Mark Atherton but the username i generally go by is Saberwolf . Im currently
> studying Computing, Maths and (for some really odd reason) biology in the
> second year of 6th form at the Bluecoat school . My hobbies include whatever
> im currently into (i have a short attention span), computer stuff
> includiuding lots of network structure and system security at the moment as
> i have developed a sudden interest (and i will not take any responsibility
> for any strange happening on the school network just because of this) . oh
> and i enjoy listening to 80s and 90s music as well.

Thanks for the introduction, Mark.

> I currently have two complete machines running, one old P3 500 which until a
> couple of days ago was my main system until i finally completed my nice new
> 2.2ghz system that im currently using.
>
> My linux experiences seem to be alot less debian based than anybody else who
> i have seen intorduce themselves on here. I started off with mandrake (knew
> nothing at all about linux at this point but felt like giving it a go) which
> i got off a magazine cover cd and kinda went on from there. Have at one
> point at least fiddled with msot of the major distros. tried debian but it
> wasnt much fun since im 56k still meaning not much in the way of updates and
> the outdates software was annoying me after bleeding edge mandrake. Finally
> settled on slackware which is fussy, complicated and generally good fun. I
> currently use slack 10 as my main OS but have kinda accidently fragged my
> install and so am using my dual booted XP install for a little bit till i
> have time to do some repairing.

You may have more luck with ubuntu as a Debian based distro, its has a
six month release cycle, so once it is installed the only updates are
for security so are relatively small :-/  It also uses much more up to
date software, as it is based on Debian unstable.

If you want a copy of the latest version (warty).  Drop by and I'll have
a copy ready.

--
David Watson
david at planetwatson.co.uk
GnuPG key available from http://www.planetwatson.co.uk
Fingerprint: 5FDB B1BE 9B31 D3A8 2981  7285 0DE8 799E A7D6 AE79

"Code is for life, use python"