[Liverpool] Introduction

djbanksie at dsl.pipex.com djbanksie at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Nov 3 22:22:35 GMT 2004

My name is Stephen Banks and I am a 15 year old year 11 student at Blue
Coat School in Liverpool. My passion for computers has grown through my
brother, and although I am more interested in the hardware side of
computers, I have a strong interest in Linux and the Open Source community

Why do I use Open Source?
Put rather simply, I don't have the money to shell out hundreds of pounds
on a computer, then have to buy further software to install on to the
computer. Open Source has a large and expanding community, I can basically
choose what software package I want, download it through aptitude (Debian
package manager) and install it, free of charge. What's more, if there are
errors in this software, you don't have to go to great lengths to download
updates for the whole computer like Windows, the crack team of developers
just fix it. Open Source is not a business, it's a community - that's why
I like it

Computer Specs (well, I just have to because I'm obsessed with
overclocking and modding and so on):
- AMD Athlon XP 2500 Barton (Overclocked to 3200+ @ 2200MHz)
- Crucial DDR400 512MB PC3200 RAM
- Asus A7V600
- 2x40GB hard disks (one with Debian on, one with Windows XP for games)
- 64MB GeForce MX440 (will be upgraded very soon...)
- Chieftec Matrix MA-01WD-D full tower case
- 8x DVD-RW/CDRW drive
- Lights, cathodes, fans, el wire just to finish things off
I am constantly wasting my money on lights and stuff!

Interests:
- www.megatokyo.com
- www.ebay.co.uk
- Erm, case modding
- Playing certain games such as Doom 3 and most racing games (on Windows
unfortunately)
- Trying to promote Linux in school (burning Knoppix, showing screenshots,
not like anyone is really interested in something other than Windows,
don't get me started!

Erm, that's pretty much it for myself. Like to see LUG Liverpool spread.
Thanks go to Dave for starting the site and the Linux community as a whole
for providing me and many others with a free and exciting operating
system!