[Liverpool] Another Introduction

Michael Banks michaelbanks at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Nov 3 23:09:19 GMT 2004

Hello all,

My name is Michael Banks. I am a first year Computer Science student at
the University of York, although my home and town of primary allegiance
is Liverpool. ;-] You can find more about me here:
http://fuzzylogic.planetwatson.co.uk/index.php?sec=5 .

I'll do my best to answer the questions that have been posted already:

 >> Why are you using Open Source software?

I appreciate the value of true Free Software, in terms of its proven
flexibility, range of application, pedigree and community spirit. (read:
it's just *better*) Lastly, I am proud to be involved in the largest
collaborative effort in the world today. I am convinced that Open Source
development will supersede today's proprietary software model in the
medium to long term.

 >> Which OS do you use, and why?

At present, I use the Debian GNU/Linux OS exclusively, having cut my
Linux teeth with the SuSE and Mandrake distributions. That said, I've
found myself using Slackware Linux systems as part of my course.

 >> Do you contribute to Open Source projects, either with code,
documentation, or bug reports?

I contribute code to the Petrol Engine content management system
(http://petrolengine.net/). In addition, I am a co-founder of PyBridge -
a client/server Python bridge card game system - currently in a planning
stage. Unfortunately, at present my studies leave me little time to work
on either project.

 >> What kind of SF do you like?

I'm new to the genre, having recently read and re-read Neuromancer. I
found it an interesting concept, though it moved too quickly for my
tastes. I'm just starting on Snow Crash, which seems to have all the
makings of an enjoyable read.

.O. | Michael Banks - michaelbanks at dsl.pipex.com
..O | Fingerprint: 1787 06DD 95D6 003E 8059  FF28 9D4D 1271 EF0C 2001
OOO | Public key available from: www.fuzzylogic.planetwatson.co.uk