[Liverpool] Introductions are in order

David Watson david at planetwatson.co.uk
Wed Nov 3 23:31:21 GMT 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 22:02 +0000, mark atherton wrote:
> See this is the problem i find with a number of distros. Alot of them arent
> very well polished and have some stupid flaws. For example i remember a
> problem with mandrake 9.2 that caused you to loose the entire KDE menu as
> soon as you installed any from the in built package manager. It problem like
> these which you expect to see in pre-releases only. It is little things like
> this, that while easily fixed if you have a little knowledge, put many new
> users off linux.
> I've heard good things about ubuntu but as of yet havent had a chance to try
> it. There are a number of simple distros which are good to get started with.
> I find mandrake rush release as i always had a few problem with each new
> release. Fedora is nice and simple but it has a lot of new technologies and
> new versions of software which may not be the most stable and tested. Ive
> never used suse but a boxed set of one of suse professional is meant to be a
> good start. It costs money but you get a lots of good documentation in
> there.

Ubuntu is certainly a step in the right direction, although it is not
without faults.  If they can improve with each release in a few releases
this could be 'the' distro, polished and with commercial support.  If
only I could replace RedmondOS in work.

--
David Watson
david at planetwatson.co.uk
GnuPG key available from http://www.planetwatson.co.uk
Fingerprint: 5FDB B1BE 9B31 D3A8 2981  7285 0DE8 799E A7D6 AE79

"Code is for life, use python"