[Liverpool] Introductions are in order

mark atherton firkragg14 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 3 22:03:20 GMT 2004

>From: David Watson <david at planetwatson.co.uk>
>To: Liverpool LUG <liverpool at mailman.lug.org.uk>
>Subject: Re: [Liverpool] Introductions are in order
>Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 20:50:40 +0000
>
>On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 20:43 +0000, Scott Brimin wrote:
> > So, I've been considering installing Linux again.
> >
> > But I don't know which distribution to use. I want a distribution that
> > is friendly enough to use, preferrably with good hardware support
> > without alot of messing around.
> >
> > I was going to install Mandrake since I did start on it but people
> > have been telling me that Mandrake has become "blegh". I have been
> > recommended Debian by several people but this Ubunto seems
> > interesting.
> >
> > What would people recommend for a noob (with a brain)?
>
>I think I'm beginning to sound like a broken record, but give ubuntu a
>try, it has a more polished feel than a lot of other distros.

See this is the problem i find with a number of distros. Alot of them arent
very well polished and have some stupid flaws. For example i remember a
problem with mandrake 9.2 that caused you to loose the entire KDE menu as
soon as you installed any from the in built package manager. It problem like
these which you expect to see in pre-releases only. It is little things like
this, that while easily fixed if you have a little knowledge, put many new
users off linux.
I've heard good things about ubuntu but as of yet havent had a chance to try
it. There are a number of simple distros which are good to get started with.
I find mandrake rush release as i always had a few problem with each new
release. Fedora is nice and simple but it has a lot of new technologies and
new versions of software which may not be the most stable and tested. Ive
never used suse but a boxed set of one of suse professional is meant to be a
good start. It costs money but you get a lots of good documentation in
there.