[Liverpool] need...to...multi-task

Paul paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Mon Nov 8 07:59:22 GMT 2004

Hi,

> Let's say i'm using WinXP and I want to copy files from two DVDs onto
> my HDD. Can I access both DVD-readers and write to my HDD at the "same
> time", without their speed dropping below the map?

No idea under XP. It's so evil and nasty that even the thought of using
it turns my fillings to jelly. And not that nice tasting jelly either,
but that cheap limey stuff you get from Aldi for a quid per tonne!

Under Linux, yes. I've accessed my DVDRW, CDRW and DVD to HD at the same
time. It does slow things down hugely though - esp. for large files. I'd
guess it's the same under XP.

As to writing, UDMA > 166 should be able to handle two devices at once
as long as (1) UDMA > 166 is supported and enabled and (2) you're using
x2 or at a real push x4.

> Is it a hardware thing or an OS thing?

Hardware

TTFN

Paul
--
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing" - Det. Sledgehammer