[Liverpool] Extending linux distros

Paul Johnson paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Mon Nov 29 11:37:42 GMT 2004

Hi,

> One caution - apart from Debian GNU, and possibly NetBSD,
> which Free Unices are actually safe, legally, to send out
> anywhere?

>From what I understand, they're all covered by the GPL, so the simple
answer is all of them. The problem with RH was that they included some
none GPL bits (same with SuSE pre Novell) which had to be removed (hense
white cap, pink tie and the other clones). FC, Slack, Mandark, SuSE and
lots of others are happy now.

> We'd have problems sending patent-encumbered software like
> MP3 apps to Japan and the USA, for example :-(

Which is why FC is probably the safest out there.

> > > That does sound like a good idea, we should probably look into getting
> > > involved with the Infopoint project aswell.
>
> Definitely worth doing :-)

Pity the website is so damned slow though :-(

TTFN

Paul
--
"I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram with a Cilla Black fan on
the bike" - Meatloaf