[Liverpool] Introductions are in order

David Watson david at planetwatson.co.uk
Sat Oct 30 22:32:41 BST 2004

On Sat, 2004-10-30 at 22:22 +0100, Scott Brimin wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I believe introductions are in order.
>
> The username I go by is "Two-Zero", I'm a second year Software
> Engineering student at Liverpool's John Moores University. I'm male,
> old enough to buy alcohol at a bar. My hobbies are watching anime,
> reading manga, doing computery things and listening to J-pop.

Thank you Scott, welcome to the LUG.

> Someone has hinted for me to post something so here goes:

(whistles, and looks shifty)

> My most recent computer acquisition has been a Mini-ITX system. For
> those of you who don't know, the Mini-ITX form factor is smaller than
> the standard ATX, my mainboard is 170mm x 170mm. I was browsing the
> web, as you do, and found an EPIA-5000 mobo with the C3 800Mhz
> processor builtin. So, I just had to buy it and build it into a
> system, I named her Kokoro, she's now my firewall and downloader. I
> designed her to be fanless silent, the builtin CPU is fanless and
> relies on a heatsink and I bought one of those 60W Morex fanless power
> supplies. The "noisiest" thing is the hard disk and I'll probably be
> upgrading to a 2.5" HDD soon.
>
> Here's a pic:
> http://www.limilia-network.uklinux.net/temp/20040818%2019.JPG
>
> However, the cases for the Mini-ITX form factor are super expensive,
> more expensive than the mobo itself. So, I had to make my own. I was
> tempted to paint it black and put a green X on the lid but that was
> too 3viL. So I opted for this:
>
> http://www.limilia-network.uklinux.net/temp/20040818%2011.JPG

Have you tried using a drive silencer, may keep it quiet.

I am curently working on a case mod myself, details will be on my
website soon.  All I will say for now is, if you ask your 3.5 year old
daughter if she would like a PC in her room, be prepared that she may
answer with:  "A pink one?".  Pictures online when the painting is
done. :-)

--
David Watson
david at planetwatson.co.uk
GnuPG key available from http://www.planetwatson.co.uk
Fingerprint: 5FDB B1BE 9B31 D3A8 2981  7285 0DE8 799E A7D6 AE79

"Code is for life, use python"