[Liverpool] Cable internet provider on liverpool?

Chris Jones linux at stow-jones.co.uk
Sat Aug 26 11:12:56 BST 2006

Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 08:51:09 +0100, Omar Baqueiro wrote:
>

>> However, I have seen that a lot of ISPs require a BT line (for ASDL
>> services). I know that Telewest provides cable internet service, but
>> unfortunately the service is not available for my area (can you
>> believe it, I live something 5 blocks from the Univ. of Liverpool). So
>> my question is if there is any other cable internet provider or
>> another option that does not requires a landline.
>>

> I think you're out of luck as far as broadband is concerned. The cable
> companies run a monopoly, one provider per area, so in Liverpool it's
> Telewest only. Sky do a broadband service but their web site is lacking
> in any details. The picture of the kit appears to contain ADSL splitters,
> so I suspect it is an ADSL based service.

Do you have a WiFi access point within reach? Where it is available, it
is very good, but could be expensive. Otherwise, if you have a mobile
phone monthly contract, you could try to add a datacard to your
contract. The best of these currently is T-Mobile, who charge £20 per
month for their datacard (2Gb cap), provided you take a £30 per month
mobile contract.

--
Chris Jones