[Liverpool] Mounting floppy in Ubuntu

David Watson david at planetwatson.co.uk
Sun Jan 22 00:43:16 GMT 2006

On Saturday 21 January 2006 22:35, LALAYNG at aol.com wrote:
> The first comand, mkdir floppy worked.
>
> The last two commands seemed hopeful, though it insisted on being  root.
> When I installed the Ubuntu I make no provision for root permission, so I
> do not know the root password; hence I cannot execute the "mount -t"
> commands.
>
> Any help?

Ubuntu makes use of sudo, the first user create (during the install) is able
to run any command.  Simply add sudo to the front of the command, such as:

sudo mount -t fat /dev/fd0 floppy

when it requests a password, enter your password.

> On the wireless, it is an ASUS WL-138g PCI adaptor that works very well
> under Windows, but has no Linux drivers.  I have tried endless combinations
>  of ndiswrapper attempts, but all fail with the final comment "no such file
> or directory"
>
> I have ordered a new wireless card, Edimax EW-7128g that looks promising
> for Linux users, and, it is claimed will work "out of the box" if the Linux
> is of the SuSE 10 flavour.

I have an Edimax EW-7108g, but have had no luck with it, although I believe it
may be my laptop that is at fault.

--
David Watson
Lugmaster, Programmer, Bass Player