[Liverpool] sata 11 drives

John Bywater johnbywr at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jul 17 09:23:31 BST 2006

Michael Banks wrote:

> Hi John,
>

>> I have a problem using sata 2 drives, with a Asus A8N-E motherboard.
>> Sata 1 work well and there is no problem, until I put in sata 2 drives.
>> Then the system  just locks up.
>>

> What are the model numbers of the drives? (I'm assuming they're Maxtor
> drives, since you mention Maxtor support.)
> Model:6v080eo
>
>> I understand that there is a problem with sata 2 drives, and nvidia 3/4
>> chipsets.
>>

> Maxtor have recently acknowledged this problem, and not before time.
> http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2685
>
> Search Google for "maxtor nforce4" - a lot of people have experienced
> problems running certain Maxtor drives with nForce4 controllers. (Note
> that the Asus A8N motherboards are mentioned frequently.)
>

>> Although the problem is all directed at Windows.
>> I can load Suse 10.1 onto the drives, but on the reboot, the drives just
>> lock up.
>> I have sent an e-mail to Maxtor, asking for help, but the firmware they
>> have sent does not solve the problem.
>>

> Which firmware version have Maxtor sent you? Which version came with the
> drives? Since applying the new firmware, have you tried reinstalling
> SuSE? (If the problem corrupted your existing install, you should start
> from scratch.) Are you trying to run software RAID configurations etc.?

The firmware was va111900 & va131610, the 900 loaded but produced no results. The 610 would not load. I have repartioned the drive with raids, and reinstalled Suse. It is on the reboot that the problem crops up. some page not found and I/O error switching to /bin/sh.

>> as anybody come across a similar problem, and if so, how did you
>> overcome the problem?
>>

> Failing everything else, you might want to try "jumpering" the disks to
> run in SATA I (1.5Gb/s) mode, or use an external controller. Perhaps you
> can RMA the drives and have Maxtor to send you working replacements.

I have tried jumering just to see if the drives would work like that,
but no response at all.