[Liverpool] Data Recovery

Vladimir Jakubovskij vladimir.jakubovskij at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 16:24:54 BST 2006

On 10/19/06, Jason Jorgenson <jjorgenson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately, I lost an entire year's worth of digital photographs
> and videos due to a bug in Kubuntu's HDD install software,

what version?
and what's the bug? sounds ridiculous, never heard of it.
could you please, give more information about it?

but I was
> able to get a lot of it back.  I have been looking for the CD I used,
> but have not yet been able to locate it.  I am sure I will be able to
> locate it before the meeting, which I am almost certainly going to be
> attending.  I will bring it along.  It only recovers data files, but
> is very very good, and easy to use.  Especially with partitions.  Let
> me tell you the (embarrassing) story.
>
> I decided to increase the size of my linux partition, and decrease
> Windows one day.  Using the GParted live cd i redid them, no problems.
> All of my photos etc were on their own partition, which was not being
> touched, and everything was fine.  The Kubuntu installer, however,
> deleted the partition!  I was horrified, but this software recovered
> it perfectly.  Nothing was lost.  I was at this point though, not
> aware of what had caused it to happen, so I carried on with the
> installation.
>
> The second time around, it actually changed the file systema dn
> formatted the partition.

any partiotioning software says to back up your partiotions first!.
it's a rule. troubles may never occur. but (Murphy laws) as soon as you
break the rule for the first time, it crashes. the world is cruel.

So this time, it really was bad.  *sigh*
> Anyway, by booting from an external with this cd I cant remember the
> name of (but will find) I was able to recover a *lot* of the stuff.
> any file that was fragmented was basically no good, but there wasnt a
> lot of fragmentation anyway, so I would say I recovered a good 80-85%.
> Best of luck to you.  whatever you do, don't do any writes to the
> drive until you get this software....
>
> Jason Jorgenson (aka Arkygeek)

bandpage: http://www.soundlift.com/requiemaeternum
homepage:http://public.fotki.com/vovka661/