[Liverpool] British Linux Magazine?

Omar Baqueiro Espinosa obaqueiro at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 17:58:13 BST 2006

Hello again!

Well, I hope you do not mind me filling the list with questions without
writing anything useful :).

After some time here I have started to look for a nice Linux magazine to
subscribe. Back in Mexico I used to get "Linux magazine".  I know there
is a magazine with the same name here (linux-magazine.co.uk) but  I dont
know if it is any good.

Basically I would like a magazine with wide Linux coverage (I mean, that
is "user friendly") but which also contains sweet geeky stuff (*sh
scripts, development info, etc etc).

Can anyone recommend a magazine? Oh, I almost forget, another
requirement is that it must be cheap (well, not to expensive as in
AI-Journal for example), it would be better if it has some student
discount.

And lastly, a CD or DVD  on it is not a must but is gladly appreciated
(I always liked trying the PC-Format floppies, can you believe it, I
bough the UK's PC-format when I was on High School in Mexico... it was
not available every month, and it was quite expensive for a high school
guy, but it was a really cool magazine back then [circa 1996]).

Oh, and just as a general comment (sorry if you don't care) I recently
found a PC on the street within other trash (someone were refubrishing a
flat and they just threw out everything that was inside). It is amazing
what people leave :-] at least, for someone coming from Mexico =oP. Well
I got this Pentium 3, 400 MHZ (which I overclocked to 600 hehe). Of
course it is now a nice Ubuntu desktop machine. I installed Xubuntu
first but it was very minimalist for my flatmate who is a biologist and
is a "computer illiterate", so I installed Ubuntu (personally I preffer
KDE but I thought it would be too heavy for this PC). The only problem
is that I dont have internet at home so it is a pain to update and
install packages (that is why I was asking for the broadband connection
before). I have been using Synaptic wget scripts to download debs at my
Uni.

Well, sorry for the long mail. That's all for now.

Thank you!

Omar.
--

Omar Baqueiro Espinosa