[Liverpool] Re: Linux, WRT54G and new year (John Bywater)

Iain MacGranthin iaingmacg at mac.com
Sat Jan 6 13:33:11 GMT 2007

On 6 Jan 2007, at 12:15, liverpool-request at mailman.lug.org.uk wrote:

>  Re: Linux, WRT54G and new year (John Bywater)
Happy new year dear fellow Linux users... having moved to a new
appartment where telewest broadband is available I've just susbscribed
to its service and I am looking forward to acquiring a Linux friendly
wireless router.

I have read about the Linksys WRT54G for which Linux firmware is
available to enhance its capabilities (and of course for the sake of
experience which such router and any of the available firwmares
(dd-wrt, OpenWRT, Sveasoft, etc...).

I will be glad to read any information. I will be ebaying my router
soon and Linuxing it. Hope it goes fine.

Hi,

I am myself using the WRT54GS at the moment and was considering
trading it in for the new Linksys router which goes to 802.11n standard.

I must be fairly happy with the brand, as I have used linksys since
the WEP11 and WET 11 came out, and still have the WET 11 which was
compatible with playstation mk1 for wireless networking, and that I
used to network an old iBook that didnt have a wireless card.

What I will say about the WRT54GS is while I found it easy to set up
and have had no problems getting it running with blueyonder, unlike
another I briefly tried before getting the 54GS (think it was
NetGear), I don't think it has as good a range as some others, which
was why actually I tried changing.  Other than that I am really
satisfied.

Had no idea it could be Linux'ed tho'   :-o ...   tell me more...

I may have a tinker, or be open to offers for it if I change up...

Regards

Iain Mac.