[Liverpool] Apologies and some thoughts

Neil Bothwick neil at stfw.net
Thu Mar 15 19:09:30 GMT 2007

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 17:51:55 +0000, tony burrows wrote:

> If I'm right, we have a meeting next week.  In that case, sorry but I
> can't be there, I'll be in Nice.

I won't make the obvious pun, but enjoy yourself. I missed the last
meeting because I was in Barcelona (birthday treat).

> I was thinking about the group and the fact that attendance seems to
> have dropped off over the last few months.  It feels to me a bit like
> we're losing our way here.  We have had some nice presentations in the
> past, but perhaps we need to formalise things a bit.  Such as:

David keeps putting the content of meetings on the agenda, then something
happens to stop us using the agenda, like having to switch to a pub
meeting at the last minute.

> 1 - work out a set of presentations for a few months ahead, so that we
> can get others in.  General and technical ones.
> 2 - Resurrect the idea of a table in one of the computer fairs to
> provide help for newcomers, though I know that abacus fairs seem to be
> dropping off as well.

I'm all for both of these.

> 3 - Possibly a tie-up with the local BCS branch.  This month (tonight)
> they are having a discussion on the whole concept of open-source and
> whether it works (blind leading the blind to some extent, when I
> mentioned it a couple of years ago the misconceptions were incredible)

> 4 - Is there a way we can get some local publicity?  Even just a report
> of a presentation in the local free press?

The problem is that we currently have nothing to publicise. If we come up
with a plan, there should be no problem getting it in the local press
(paid and free) but they like some notice.

--
Neil Bothwick

why do kamikazee pilots wear helmets?