[Liverpool] Apologies and some thoughts

Andrew Williams lists at nikdoof.net
Sat Mar 17 01:39:29 GMT 2007

tony burrows wrote:
> If I'm right, we have a meeting next week.  In that case, sorry but I
> can't be there, I'll be in Nice.
>
> I was thinking about the group and the fact that attendance seems to
> have dropped off over the last few months.  It feels to me a bit like
> we're losing our way here.  We have had some nice presentations in the
> past, but perhaps we need to formalise things a bit.  Such as:
>
> 1 - work out a set of presentations for a few months ahead, so that we
> can get others in.  General and technical ones.
> 2 - Resurrect the idea of a table in one of the computer fairs to
> provide help for newcomers, though I know that abacus fairs seem to be
> dropping off as well.
> 3 - Possibly a tie-up with the local BCS branch.  This month (tonight)
> they are having a discussion on the whole concept of open-source and
> whether it works (blind leading the blind to some extent, when I
> mentioned it a couple of years ago the misconceptions were incredible)
> 4 - Is there a way we can get some local publicity?  Even just a report
> of a presentation in the local free press?
> 5 - There are some local science/technology fairs for schools.  Could we
> have a presence there?
> 6 - A more formalised problem session at the meetings?
>
> And then I run out of thoughts.
>
> Tony

A few days late, but i've got something i'd like to add

My main issue is that Tuesday nights are a bit difficult to get to, I
leave work in Birchwood at 5:30 and just manage to get home at about
6:30 (depending on the trains), i can imagine its a bit more difficult
for some people. Maybe the meetings would be better held on a Saturday?
It would possibly mean the loss of the current venue but would probably
encourage people to attend who have some free time on a Saturday.

Maybe trying to arrange for bigger names in the community to come do
talks every so often, publish/advertise them through other local lists
and general UK linux user mailing lists, any maybe online tools like
Upcoming.org.

Just my two cents on the topic :)

- --
Andrew Williams