[Liverpool] proprietary formats @ liverpool uni

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Thu Mar 6 15:26:34 GMT 2008

On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 02:49:00PM +0000, Vladimir wrote:
>    Week 4 reading, the article: Copying music legally in the digital age
>    Technology The Guardian.mht was posted on VITAL in a proprietary web page
>    archive format that can't be opened by
>    either Mozilla Firefox Web Browser nor by KHTML [open source] engine
>    driven ones, like Safari on Mac OS X platform. Indeed to read this article
>    I had to go down to a place with Windows machine that had Microsoft
>    Internet Explorer 7 (that was struggling to open it indeed and crashed 2
>    times before opening the article).

Alternatively you could have just looked at the name of the file and figured
out that it's an article saved from The Guardian website:-

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22Copying+music+legally+in+the+digital+age%22

The first hit:-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/jan/09/copyrightlaws

Whilst I agree that using non-free formats is bad, I think you could
possibly have approached this in a somewhat less confrontational manner.

Cheers,
Al.