[Liverpool] proprietary formats @ liverpool uni

Neil Bothwick neil at stfw.net
Thu Mar 6 15:47:18 GMT 2008

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 15:26:32 +0000, Alan Pope wrote:

> Alternatively you could have just looked at the name of the file and
> figured out that it's an article saved from The Guardian website:-
>
> http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22Copying+music+legally+in+the+digital+age%22
>
> The first hit:-
>
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/jan/09/copyrightlaws
>
> Whilst I agree that using non-free formats is bad, I think you could
> possibly have approached this in a somewhat less confrontational manner.

I disagree. Firstly, you have no way of knowing whether the file is that
article, just because the title is the same. Secondly, what happens next
time an article is made available in this format? If you're going to try
to change things, sooner is better than later.

Making any data available as an exe file is a terrible idea, particularly
for Windows users. Forcing people to download and run executable files is
an easy way to infect their machines.

--
Neil Bothwick

Paranoia: A healthy understanding of the nature of the universe.