[Liverpool] Funding for projects?

Adrian McEwen adrian at mcqn.net
Thu Nov 13 14:58:36 UTC 2008

Paul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have any advice on this?
>
> I have two software products (both for education) which I'm actively
> working on. They run under .NET which means that they're happy for
> Windows, Linux and MacOS X (as well as any other platform with
> either .NET 2.0 or mono support) - indeed, they're both being written on
> my Linux boxes so and tested by Mac and Windows users, so I know they're
> happy.
>
> The problem is that I can only do this during the evening, so
> development is slow, hideously slow at times (one of them has had no
> active development on it for about 6 weeks now) so I'm looking for some
> form of investment so that I can work on them full time.
>
> I don't have clue one about how to go about getting this or what it
> entails. Does anyone here have an idea on what I can expect or better
> still, who I could approach?

As Andrew said, GeekUp [1] would probably be a better place to ask such
a question - there are quite a few of us on there running our own
businesses and business-related topics crop up from time to time.  Or
come along to either a GeekUp or Liverpool LUG meeting and have a chat
about it then - I'd be happy to discuss it further with you and I'm sure
others would chip in too.  I'm usually at both GeekUp Liverpool and
Liverpool LUG, but drop me a line if you want to meet up and I'll make
the extra effort to come along ;-)

Are you looking for a way to make this into a full-time job?  If so then
it's probably worth talking to someone like Business Link [2] - they're
good for lots of general advice about starting a business, which will
come in handy.  They probably also know of some of the ways you could
get funding.  If you're under 30 then the Prince's Trust might be able
to help, and the North-West Development Agency [4] also seems to have an
array of schemes to help businesses start in the area - I'm still trying
to find out about them all myself and work out which ones to apply for...

Right, I'll stop throwing links at you now :-)

Adrian.

[1] http://geekup.org/
[2] http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/northwest
[3] http://www.princes-trust.org.uk/
[4] http://www.nwda.co.uk/

--
Booklert - Track your book's rank on Amazon
  http://www.mcqn.com/booklert/

tedium - It's not about making lists, it's about crossing things off
  http://www.mcqn.com/tedium