[Liverpool] Gentoo live CD

Vladimir J. vladimir.jakubovskij at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 15:07:04 UTC 2008

you have done loads of work which was not necessary.
Windows XP overwrites any bootloader by default, without any given
choice.
so WinXP in your case has overwritten GRUB loader [binary].
if you spent 2 minutes googling before messing around with the OSes on
your machine, you'd know this. and you would have installed Windows
first, then
SUSE, and the latter would give you a choice - of what to boot into at
the
GRUB boot promp.
but even after that - 2 minutes googling would provide you with a
5 mins fix. it's simple.
boot into a live cd (SUSE, in this case)
mount a partition where you installed SUSE
(guess with many modern distros it would be already mounted for you)
let's say it's mounted on /media/disk1

#chroot /media/disk1
#grub-install /dev/disk1 (or whatever the device it would be in your
case)
ctrl+d, reboot
voila!!
you can now boot into linux and modify your /boot/grub/menu.list
(sometimes different on some systems, and could be called grub.conf,
but the synthax of the file is the same)
to add windows xp into boot menu. like this

# title   F*king WindowsXP
# root   (hd0,0) - this depends on your setup
# makeactive
# chainloader   +1

enjoy (or rather RTFM)

regards,