[Liverpool] Links from my Arduino talk

Adrian McEwen adrian at mcqn.net
Thu Apr 2 08:07:10 UTC 2009

I hope the talk wasn't too boring last night.  The session in the pub
was definitely lively enough to make up for it ;-)

I thought it might be useful just to share a few links to some of the
stuff I was talking about, in case anyone wants to have a play
themselves.  And if you do, then you should come along to Howduino
<http://www.howduino.com> the hackday I'm organising at FACT on Saturday
23rd May.

<http://arduino.cc> is the main website for all things Arduino, you can
download the software from there, learn how to program Arduinos and even
download the PCB layout if you want to build your own board.

However, it's easier to buy a board that's ready made, and they're only
20 quid.  I'd usually recommend getting one of the Tinker.it beginner
kits - <http://tinkerit.myshopify.com/products/beginners-kit> - but
they're currently having problems sourcing the breadboards and jumper
wires for them, so an alternative solution would be to just buy an
Arduino Duemilanove board from Tinker.it
<http://tinkerit.myshopify.com/products/arduino> and then nip to Maplin
to buy some electronics bits or get something like this starter kit -
<http://bitsbox.co.uk/select.html#starter_kit>

My slides from the talk are available at
<http://www.mcqn.net/mcfilter/archives/computers/barcamp_liverpool_getting_started_with_arduino_how_to_build_a_twittermonitoring_alertuino.html>

And the code that I used for my Twitter monitor is available at
<http://code.google.com/p/mcqn/source/browse/#svn/trunk/Alertuino>

Finally, if you want to see the evolution of the Twitter monitor - with
an Ethernet shield added and no dependency on a computer - there's a
clip of Bubblino 1m54s into the video at
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7961760.stm>.  And I'll be
releasing the code for Bubblino some point in the next few days.

Cheers,

Adrian.