[Liverpool] i have a spare computer

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Wed Apr 8 09:31:54 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 09:33 +0100, Lucy wrote:
> > Breathe Easy Liverpool North is a small group that help people with
> > Breathing disffunctions. The parent group is the British Lung Foundation.
> > I manage our website and other communications and publications / office
> > requirements.

> An earlier email said that the computer had gone. However, old
> computers are easy to get hold of, so maybe people can still help out.
> Where are you based and what are your requirements? I had a quick look
> at your website and it says you have branches all over the North West
> including Manchester? I ask because I actually live in South
> Manchester..

Hello James,

I'm between supplies of recycled PCs atm, other than
relatively low-specced machines. However I'm looking
at expanding this in the future.

Given that I already spam the list about #smallsteps [1]
(tonight, don't forget) & the hacklab [2], I've been
hesitant to mention it on the list, but here goes.

I can get hundreds of PCs of fairly recent vintage, and
can find charities who want them after they're refurbished.
The interest lies between the two points.

Refurbishing the PCs - centred on installing Ubuntu -
provides an opportunity to provide useful training
to people without qualifications.

I'm currently talking to people in Manchester & Bangor,
looking for partners to set something like this up.
The shopping list includes workshop space, trainers,
someone to deal with paperwork & WEEE regulations,
which will be most easily accomplished with a
partner organisation from the training or recycling
side.

If anyone wants this to happen in Liverpool, mail
me off-list & we'll talk :-)

 - Richard

[1] http://upcoming.yahoo.com/event/2168105/
    http://www.goodgnus.org/small-steps/
[2] http://groups.google.co.uk/group/NW-hack-space

--
Richard Smedley                              PRINCE2 Project Management
                                              Sustainable 3rd Sector IT