[Liverpool] Hi!

Simon Johnson simon.johnson at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 15:58:56 UTC 2009

> Hi Stephen,
> Just wanted to follow up Chris by saying that I was extremely impressed
> with your knowledge and understanding of audio stuff. I've been heavily
> interested in music and audio engineering since around the time I was 15,
> and I didn't know then as much as you do now. As for your web magickery, you
> would far exceed my knowledge as I frittered my youth away on music. It's
> too late for me!
>
> Keep up the "geekery" :) Knowledge is power, and all that.
>
> Andrew

Yes, I have to second all the comments in this thread. For a 15 year old,
your knowledge was extremely impressive.
The only bad life decision that you appear to have made so far is the choice
of PHP. :) When I was your age, I was hacking around in Visual Basic 3 - so
I can hardly talk.
My only advice would be to try a bunch of languages. Just like learning
another spoken language gives you insight in to your own tongue - learning
other programming languages exposes you to different takes on the same
problem.
In particular, I would recommend something head bending like Scheme. God, in
his act of creation, probably used Scheme. It is simple language and that
simplicity gives it great power. Unfortunately, it lacks tools support and a
comprehensive set of libraries.
Learning Scheme teaches you how to think flexibly. However, if you want to
get any actual stuff done you'd probably want to use a language like Python.
Cheers,
Simon