[Liverpool] Distros of Choice (was: "Hi!")

Simon Johnson simon.johnson at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 11:03:28 UTC 2009

> History-wise, I've been exposed to all the highs and lows of
> distributions over the last 11 years or so (has it been that long!?). My
> first distro was Slackware that I got on a cover CD (PCWorld October
> 1997, I think) , that you installed using 8 floppies (IIRC) as El Torito
> boot from CD wasn't standard in PC bioses.
>
> </reminisce>

Andy, Can you remember which distribution Dimension was running way back
when? That was my first taste of Linux and that was probably back in
1998-1999. Was it Redhat?

I remember trying to use Redhat on my old 200Mhz box back in the late 90s
and failing to get the modem working. It was years before I looked at Linux
on the desktop again.

Since then, I've almost exclusively used Debian in some form or another.
Mostly in the server environment. I've played with other distributions such
as Fedora but I've always found Debian to the most stable Linux
distribution.

I moved from Windows to Linux on the desktop around 2004. Compared to my
original attempt at Redhat, this was a revolutionary. Everything, for the
most part, just worked.

I now only use Windows stuff at work!

Cheers,

Simon.