[Liverpool] Distros of Choice (was: "Hi!")

Andrew Williams andy at tensixtyone.com
Tue Apr 28 08:26:39 UTC 2009

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 05:59:49PM +0100, Stephen Mount wrote:
> On a more geeky note, I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 on my MacBook Pro and
> everything seems to be going well. Still not found a good reason to move
> from OS X but just trying things out! It's mainly the fact that Ubuntu
> doesn't have the Adobe suite. Ubuntu's text rendering is great but OS X
> + Adobe + it's font support just wins for me. Also the UI seems more
> polished and with things like Cocoa and all that jazz it just makes
> everything seem so native and just plain _good_.

Typography and font support is a sticky area on any FOSS system, OSX has
been the long time leader in typography support and I doubt it'll be
toppled in the next few years, Adobe have their sticky mitts too far
into the platform to let it slip.

> I would have thought as a linux user group though you'd have different
> views, but still I'm a linux sysadmin for various people, mainly with
> web servers/ security and all sorts. We use Ubuntu in fact for most of
> our DreamCreators servers, with the exception of one or two CentOS boxes
> (booo)
>
> What distros do you use?

At the moment i'm a avid Arch Linux user, but i've come from a heavy
background in Debian based distributions and all my remote servers
currently run Lenny. At home i've got a Gentoo (yes, har har) MythTV box
but now that i'm back up to speed with Debian packaging I might move it
back to Debian stable, I only moved to Gentoo in the first place to
keep up with the bleeding edge MythTV version at the time (0.21).

History-wise, I've been exposed to all the highs and lows of
distributions over the last 11 years or so (has it been that long!?). My
first distro was Slackware that I got on a cover CD (PCWorld October
1997, I think) , that you installed using 8 floppies (IIRC) as El Torito
boot from CD wasn't standard in PC bioses.

</reminisce>

--
Andrew Williams
w: http://tensixtyone.com/