[Liverpool] Software freedom (problems at the University)

Dave Love d.love at liverpool.ac.uk
Thu Dec 17 14:17:56 UTC 2009

If you care about software freedom, don't run MacOS.  There's no problem
connecting free software OSs to the network as far as I know (unless the
wireless NAC is different for students, which I don't think it is, but
can check).  My Ubuntu laptop connects through Eduroam/Superroamnet on
this campus and others, and vpnc gets me into the VPN under
network-manager as does the equivalent on my N800 (which, OK, is running
only partly free software).  My desktop is also GNU/Linux, although it
was connected under a different régime.

Posting private mail is generally not wise and I wouldn't be surprised
if it could be construed as contravening the acceptable use guidelines
you have signed up to.  There are probably more constructive ways to
help those of us interested in supporting free software (especially for
anyone in the university involved in research).  FYI, Rob Ward is
sometimes seen wearing a RedHat t-shirt, one of the university network
team might be considered a Mac bigot, and the other one is certainly
knowledgeable about GNU/Linux.