[Liverpool] Software freedom (problems at the University)

Vladimir vladimir.jakubovskij at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 14:27:44 UTC 2009

hello, dave!

it is not an issue of the OS of a choice. i do run MacOS for the reason of
using one
application for my work which has no equivalents in linux or windows - Logic
Pro.
as I said - my macbook is dual-boot machine anyway (Gentoo + OSX) and I am
writing this
lines now from Gentoo environment.
there's no problem for me to connect to the network. but the EULA
there is not acceptable, and I wouldn't sign it under any circumstances
running
windows, linux or osx. the EULA shouldn't be there, in the binary. rob ward
admitted it.
so now they have to remove it. they can't do it themselves, sophos has to.
i suggested them that they would simply do what they did when this issue was
raised by me
a year ago - simply register my hw addr to the network, and that's it. but
no, now they insist
on the policy. and the policy employs double standards. there's no need to
install sophos
for iPhone (that obviously runs OSX), Symbian, WinMobile. so there's a
precedent when
the rules are bent. not allowing the same case with me is hypocrisy.
therefore I will press them
to clean up their act.

.v