[Liverpool] Software freedom (problems at the University)

Vladimir vladimir.jakubovskij at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 11:26:37 UTC 2009

You see, Tim, as the person who used to admin a network myself, I do
understand the
magic of the crate of beer. The problem here is that after I will get my
linux laptop
connected, the rest is not about me and the BOFH. It's about *policy*. That
policy they
seem use as a magic get-out wand. As soon as they are pointed to what is not
right
in their actions they shout *policy*! So I can't buy a crate of beer to the
policy, do I?
The problem is that there's no access to see what this policy is. Maybe Dave
could
enlighten me on this matter? And seeing the TOS would be nice too. As for
them -
I think that the TOS are simply non-existant. What I know for sure is that
refusing
to connect my Linux system on the basis that it is on the hardware they
don't like
or that it had an operating system of a wrong type in the past violates my
student rights,
as their wages are paid from my pocket.