[Liverpool] Software freedom (problems at the University)

Andrew Williams andy at tensixtyone.com
Fri Dec 18 20:42:06 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 05:44:17PM +0000, Dave Love wrote:
> (I can't tell what that cause actually is.)

That the university is enforcing the use of a closed-source anti-virus even
for Linux/Unix based systems and forcing end users to pay out for it if they
want to actually use the university network?

Seems quite simple for me.

Does SuperRoamNet actually detect ClamAV? Or other open source and well
respected anti-virus solutions for Linux?

> If you do not wish to use Sophos there are other anti-virus applications
> that you may purchase at your own cost which will then allow you to pass
> our security checks, these are; Norton, McAffee and Intigo Virus Barrier.

No. How long until the university shutdown RoamNet? Ticking timeclock of yet
more lock-in, not just for the systems used by the university but even their
students.

> All staff and students are urged to use SuperRoamNet which is the new
> recommended wireless service for staff and students. It provides many
> benefits over RoamNet.

> From Monday February 2nd 2009, RoamNet will provide access for basic web
> browsing only. To maintain access to other services including University
> resources you must switch to SuperRoamNet.

http://wireless.liv.ac.uk/roamnet.php

Feel free to tell me if im wrong.

--
Andrew Williams