[Liverpool] Feb Meeting Follow-up

Andrew Williams andy at tensixtyone.com
Thu Feb 5 12:26:23 UTC 2009

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to give a quick follow-up to our February meetup. Thank
you for everyone who turned out last night, it ended up being the
biggest so far (15 people). The scheduled talk didn't end up going
ahead as Vladimir was unable to speak, so with 20 minutes notice I
rustled up a "talk" (which I use in the loosest sense) about
Tikitags[1] and RFID. Thank you for all your input and questions,
which turned a 5 minute demo into a reasonable and detailed talk. I'm
especially interested in working out how to read Bob's University ID
and i'm sure i'll have something to present next month.

It seems we've struck gold over the last few weeks, we now have an
excellent event which is very suited to our needs, and also we have a
"local", also known as the Old Ropewalks which is just around the
corner from the meeting place. While it didn't have the widest range
of ales it had the old stalwart favourates at a reasonable price, It
turns out the place has been under new management for a few weeks and
before that they didn't even open after 7pm! It must of been the only
quiet pub in Liverpool city centre during the derby and I think the
barmaid was glad to get some customers through the door.

Anyway, next month we're got a provisional booking at the same place
again and we already have a provisional speaker, Graeme Dyas will be
giving a talk on Lego Mindstorm and the FOSS firmware that has been
released by Lego.

[1] http://www.tikitags.org/

--
Andrew Williams / Nik_Doof