[Liverpool] [yuwei at YLIN.ORG: Oekonux Conference at Manchester (Help needed)]

Andrew Williams andy at tensixtyone.com
Thu Feb 19 09:39:29 UTC 2009

Interesting event, John McKerrel and LugRadio's Stuart Langridge will
be giving talks. I've sketched it into my diary, but I don't know how
much it's going to cost.

----- Forwarded message from Yuwei Lin <yuwei at YLIN.ORG> -----

From: Yuwei Lin <yuwei at YLIN.ORG>
To: MAN-LUG at listserv.manchester.ac.uk
Date:         Wed, 18 Feb 2009 22:39:37 +0000
Subject: Oekonux Conference at Manchester (Help needed)

Hello All,

I am helping organising a free software conference, named 'the Oekonux
Conference', on free software and relevant social, economic and political
issues. The conference is going to take place on 27-29 March 2009 at
Manchester. It is free to attend and everyone is welcome
<http://www.oekonux-conference.org/invitation/invitation.html>.

Apart from announcing the conference here, I am hoping to get some
volunteers to help at the conference, and more importantly, to host our
speakers at your homes.

The thing is, we failed to secure some major funding and the conference is
now short of money. Originally we wanted to cover all speakers' travel and
accommodation expenses, but now this becomes impossible. Since the Oekonux
is a free software community-driven project, we are thinking of using the
most fundamental free software spirit - the community - to solve this
burning problem.

We are hoping that Mancunians/people living at Greater Manchester can host
some speakers, providing overnight accommodation for them during their stay
at Manchester. These speakers travel from Europe and North America, and
they would appreciate staying and talking with the locals. A list of the
speakers is available at
http://www.oekonux-conference.org/program/speakers.en.html

If you are interested in hosting the Oekonux conference speakers, or
helping at the conference on 27-29 March, please email me off the list. For
more information, please visit
http://www.oekonux-conference.org/team/index.html

Thank you!

Best wishes,