[Liverpool] (no subject)

Simon Johnson simon.johnson at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 18:21:41 UTC 2009

It depends what you mean by Linux.  It seems to me there are two definitions
of Linux. One that has a very precise meaning and one that is too imprecise
to really use in discussion.

The first definition of Linux is the kernel project headed up by one Linus
Torvalds. This is a free software project (since it uses GPL V2) and is one
of the most high-profile projects in the free software movement.

The second is *Linux* which is really just a synonym for "the plurality of
distributions" that one can use. When we talk about Linux in this sense, we
mean everything from Linux From Scratch to Ubuntu.  This usage of Linux is
much like the term "Christian" in that it encompasses so many different
groups of people with so many different philosophies that it's only useful
as a general name for that enormas group. Just as most Christians believe in
Christ as their Savior, Linux users tend to run the Linux kernel.

I use the term free software because I want to be precise about what I say.
When I talk about Linux, I talk about the kernel project. When I talk about
free software I'm talking about software where the four freedoms are
preserved.

Simon.