[Liverpool] primary function of a LUG

ray holroyd ray.holroyd at homecall.co.uk
Fri Feb 20 15:22:07 UTC 2009

I find the analogy between Linux and Christianity rather profound.
My allusion to the "cart before the horse" was on a more basic level, in
that, in order for it to be launched free software needs a platform, and
Linux is that platform.
In fact my point in asking the original question "What is the primary
function of a LUG" was to ascertain whether members thought that the
primary function was to bring Linux to the masses, or as a focal point
for compu-geeks to air their views.
I must add that I have a tremendous respect for compu-geeks, they are
the life-blood of open source software.
As regard the four freedoms, I can't see the spread of free software
freeing us from the chains of political correctness,the universal divide
between religious beliefs,the ravages of want and the neurosis of fear.

  Ray Holroyd