[Liverpool] Replacement PC for LSC

Tim Dobson lists at tdobson.net
Fri Jul 31 12:12:31 UTC 2009

Andrew Williams wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 09:34:24PM +0100, Tim Dobson wrote:
>> I've got a stack of Pentium two's.. mostly old compaq desktops that
>> people are welcome to.
>
> Are they small form factor cases? The area the LSC has for computers
> is quite cramped, it was bad enough with 3 full tower PCs.

Yes. Dan Lynch has got one of type I have several of. They are really
small old office things. They aren't towers (though I usually put them
on their side) and they don't really take up much space.

>> They'd be good as LTSP thin clients.
>
> An excellent idea, maybe with one of Aidan's servers we could setup a
> small cluster for them. Might need to fly in some experts on the subject
> though :P

Absolutely, it's not really that hard and those servers are definitely
high enough spec.

Manchester Free Software does have experience setting up LTSP clusters
yeah and I'm sure you'd getting willing expertise if you asked nicely
with a smile. :)

Tim