[Liverpool] Linux Multimedia Studio

oscillik oscillik at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 12:59:27 UTC 2009

Well, this is where my Linux love goes sour I'm afraid...
I've been messing around with music stuff for around about 10 years now, and
I've unfortunately been spoiled by an education where I was lucky enough to
use Macintosh systems.

The last time I tried using Linux to make music was a good few years ago
(maybe 4 or 5) and I was so frustrated by the whole thing that I vowed never
to try again. In fact I would rather use Windows than Linux for doing music
on...

Having said that, I was completely unaware of lmms until you mentioned it.
It looks like a cross between Fruity Loops (which I must say, I personally
regard as a toy comapared to a Cubase/Logic/Reason combo) and Garageband
(which is most definitely a toy!). But for the purpose of creating loops and
such it looks reasonable.

Think I might have to give this a go, see if i can get it running in
Crunchbang Linux.

If you have no problem using a proprietary product that is now free,
Propellerheads ReBirth has been a free download for many years now, and that
is a pattern based sequencer with software emulations of the venerable
TB-303, TR-808 and TR-909. But i dunno if those instruments would cater to
the kind of music you're looking for.

I myself am starting work on a soundtrack for an independent computer game,
so I'll be looking to experiment!